B.Sc. Software ENgineering
B.Sc. Software Engineering is a four years undergraduate programme that focuses on the development of software applications. The programme is a blend of software engineering and computer science. Students learn a variety of skills such as computer programming, problem-solving, software design, and software architecture. Students are also trained in the development of systems software, application software, and web-based applications. Additionally, they gain knowledge of software engineering fundamentals, such as requirements analysis, system design, and software testing. The curriculum also includes electives in various topics, such as artificial intelligence, database management, and software security. Graduates of this programme can pursue further studies and research, or can enter the workforce as software engineers.
The specific objectives of the Software Engineering programme for students are to:
- provide them a solid foundation in computing in such areas as problem solving, algorithm design, data structures and programming basics;
- demonstrate practical skills in requirements analysis, system design, software architecture, software metrics, verification and validation, and the software engineering process in general for the production of high quality software-based systems;
- demonstrate expertise in programming in a number of different languages with emphasis on the production of robust, reliable, cost-effective and secure systems that are based on sound design and development principles;
- train them to be able to effectively and efficiently manage the development of large, complex and critical software; and
- enable them to have the requisite knowledge and skill base as well as adequate practical exposure and high ethical standards for the limitless professional career opportunities (including self-employment) in the software industry.
Careers in software engineering are on the rise and offer excellent opportunities to those with a degree in this field. Career opportunities in software engineering include software developer, software engineer, system analyst, network engineer, database administrator, web developer, and computer programmer. Software engineers use their knowledge of programming languages, like Java, C, C++, and Python, to design, develop, and test software programmes and systems.
They may specialize in specific areas of software development such as mobile applications, game development, or computer-aided design. Software engineering is a rapidly growing field and is expected to continue to grow in the near future. With the demand for software engineering increasing, those with a degree in this field are expected to have a wide range of career opportunities. With the right experience and qualifications, software engineers can go on to become software consultants, project managers, or even work in research and development.
21st Century Skills
Among the 21st Century skills for the programme are:
- creative thinking;
- information literacy;
- media literacy;
- social skills;
- problem solving,
- social skills; and
- innovation skills.
Admission into Iconic University for bachelor’s degree does not require JAMB result, but candidates will be asked to get a JAMB regularisation number upon successful admission in order to be used for his/her NYSC at the time of graduation.
Note: Admission for B.Sc. Software Engineering is available only for 100 level now.
- 100 Level (Freshman)
- Five (5) credit passes in WAEC, NECO, NBAIS, or similar bodies as recognized. The credit passes must include English Language, Mathematics and Physics, at not more than two sittings.
- Five (5) merits in NABTEB or Teachers Grade Two examinations in Science subjects. Also, the credit passes must include English Language, Mathematics and Physics.
- 200 Level (Sophomores)
- The Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) with a merit pass in English Language in addition to a credit pass in Mathematics/Computer/Physics/Biology/Chemistry.
- National Diploma (ND) or Higher National Diploma (HND) in Physics/Computer/Mathematics/Statistics/Information Technology/Software Engineering/Data Science/Artificial Intelligence from reputable institutions with a minimum of Lower Credit.
- GCE Advance level with at least two credit passes.
- OND with evidence of proficiency in Physics/Computer Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Information Technology/Software Engineering/Data Science/Artificial Intelligence.
- Certificate in Information Technology/Computer Science or the equivalent from a recognised university in addition to three O’ Level papers in Sciences, including a credit pass in English Language, and Mathematics.
- First degree (B.Sc.) in Physics, Computer Science, Chemistry or Biology.
Iconic University charges modest fees that give learners the chance to pay per semester only. Nigerian candidates seeking admission will pay an application fee of
N10,000 and $30 would be paid by foreign applicants.
N100,000 and $1,000 (for foreign students only).
Note: This schedule is only applicable to Spring Semester 2023/’24 academic session.