B.HIM. Health Information MANAGEMENT
B.HIM. Health Information Management is a five–year undergraduate programme for fresh entry and four-years for a direct entry. B.HIM. is designed to equip students with the knowledge and skills to effectively manage health information systems. The programme provides a comprehensive overview of medical coding, health care technology, health informatics, and medical records management. Students also learn about medical terminology, anatomy and physiology, health care law and ethics, and health care data analysis. Through this programme, students gain the necessary skills to develop, maintain, and protect health information records. Upon completion of the programme, students are prepared to pursue a career in the field of health information management.
The Bachelor Degree Programme in Health Information Management (B.HIM) is designed to foster the development of professional Health Information Management practice in Nigeria and beyond, and to provide candidates with high level of intellectual and professional skills that will enable them function effectively in the society. Specifically, the programme is intended to:
- provide prospective Health Information Management Officers with the intellectual and professional background adequate for their assignments and to make them adaptable to any changing situations within the health care industry;
- provide high skilled manpower for leadership positions in Nigerian Health Industry and beyond;
- produce highly qualified and motivated personnel for the Information management industry;
- expose the students to variety of Health Information and health problems and to encourage them develop spirit of understanding and control; and
- produce highly creative and innovative Health Information Management personnel for self-employment in Nigeria and elsewhere.
Careers in B.HIM. Health Information Management are varied and exciting. Health Information Records professionals are in high demand due to the growth of the healthcare industry. These professionals work in hospitals, clinics, and other medical facilities to manage patient’s records and ensure accuracy. They are responsible for collecting, analysing, and maintaining patient information and ensuring that it is up to date. They also review patient records for accuracy and completeness and work with other healthcare professionals to ensure accuracy and compliance with regulations. Health Information Records professionals also develop and implement policies and procedures to improve the quality of patient care. They are also responsible for the security and confidentiality of patient’s information. These professionals must possess excellent communication and organizational skills, as well as a strong background in medical terminology. A bachelor degree in Health Information Management is a great way to enter this field, and those who have obtained their degree have excellent job prospects.
21st Century Skills
1. Collaboration and team work
2. Creativity and imagination
3. Critical thinking
4. Problem solving
5. Flexibility and adaptability
6. Information Literacy
8. Civic literacy and citizenship
9. Social responsibility
10. Technology literacy
Admission into Iconic University for bachelor’s degree does not require JAMB result, but candidates will be asked to get a JAMB regularisation number upon successful admission in order to be used for his/her NYSC at the time of graduation.
Note: Admission for B.HIM. is available only for 200 level now.
- 100 Level (Freshman)
- Five (5) credit passes in WAEC, NECO, NBAIS, or similar bodies as recognized. The credit passes must include English Language, Mathematics and Physics/Chemistry/Biology, at not more than two sittings.
- Five (5) merits in NABTEB or Teachers Grade Two examinations in Science subjects. Also, the credit passes must include English Language, Mathematics and Physics/Chemistry/Biology.
- 200 Level (Sophomores)
- Candidate to be admitted at 200 level must have completed professional diploma or National Diploma (ND) in Health Information Management at the Colleges of Health Science and Technology in Nigeria or its equivalent. In addition, candidates are expected to have the same entry requirements of credit in five (5) subjects (Mathematics, English, Biology, Physics and Chemistry) at not more than two sittings.
Iconic University charges modest fees that give learners the chance to pay per semester only. Nigerian candidates seeking admission will pay an application fee of
N10,000 and $30 would be paid by foreign applicants.
N98,500 and $800 (for foreign students only).
Note: This schedule is only applicable to Spring Semester 2023/’24 academic session.