B.Sc. Criminology & Security Studies
B.Sc. Criminology & Security Studies is a four–year undergraduate course that provides students with an in–depth understanding of the various aspects of security, crime prevention, crime investigation, and criminal justice. It covers topics such as criminology theories, criminal justice system, forensic science, cybercrime investigations, risk management, and terrorism. The course also focuses on the development of essential skills such as communication, problem–solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. The curriculum also includes practical training such as field trips, internships, and workshops. It provides the knowledge and skills needed to work in various sectors such as public security, criminal justice, criminology and security management.
The objectives of the degree programme in Criminology and Security Studies are to:
- equip students with the knowledge of theoretical and methodological approaches in criminology and security studies to enable them understand the sources, functions and consequences of law and the causes and consequences of crime and insecurity;
- train the students to analyse, design and implement policies and programmes for the prevention and control of crime and insecurity;
- prepare students for advanced study and career in academic and research institutions;
- acquaint students with comparative knowledge of global manifestations, prevention and control of crime and insecurity;
- apprise students with the understanding of systems and agencies for the prevention and control of crime and insecurity within Nigeria and in different contexts and countries;
- equip students with competences and tools required for career in criminal justice, law enforcement and security; and
- produce graduates that can apply their knowledge to engagements in research, consultancies, security services and other entrepreneurial initiatives.
Careers in criminology and security studies often require knowledge in fields such as criminal law and procedure, criminology, sociology, psychology, and political science. Professionals in this field must possess strong communication, problem–solving, and critical thinking skills. A Bachelor of Science in Criminology & Security Studies degree prepares students to work in a variety of roles in the public and private sector.
Law enforcement officers, private investigators, security guards, and correctional officers are just some of the many career paths available to graduates of criminology and security studies. Professionals in this field are also well–suited for roles in intelligence, forensics, and policy development. With the right combination of education, training, and experience, graduates of a B.Sc. Criminology & Security Studies programme can find success in a variety of industries.
21st Century Skills
The 21st century skills expected from the programme are as follows:
1. analytical skills required for trans-disciplinary theoretical investigation, understanding and explaining of the factors that enhance or prevent social disorganisation, deviance, crime and insecurity;
2. research skills and application of learned skills to conduct and evaluate research on sources of crime, insecurity and solutions to them in societies;
3. innovation skills to contribute to the design and implementation of public, corporate and community security programmes;
4. creativity and ability to establish and manage enterprises that provide security services, consultancy and marketing of security-related products;
5. team work and ability to manage security departments, policies, programmes and regimen in public and private organisations, and
6. global perspectives and challenges of crime, insecurity and transnational mechanisms for their prevention and control.
Admission into Iconic University for bachelor’s degree does not require JAMB result, but candidates will be asked to get a JAMB regularisation number upon successful admission in order to be used for his/her NYSC at the time of graduation.
Note: Admission for B.Sc. Criminology & Security Studies is available only for 100 level now.
- 100 Level (Freshman)
- Five (5) credits pass in WAEC, NECO, NBAIS, or similar bodies as recognized. The credit passes must include English Language, Mathematics and Economics/Geography/Government/Civic Education, at not more than two sittings.
- Five (5) merits in NABTEB or Teachers Grade Two examinations in Science subjects. Also, the credit passes must include English Language, Mathematics and Economics/Geography/Government/Civic Education.
- 200 Level (Sophomores)
- The Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) with a merit pass in English Language in addition to a credit pass in Mathematics/Economics/Geography/Government/Civic Education.
- National Diploma (ND) or Higher National Diploma (HND) in Criminology and Security Studies/Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution from reputable institutions with a minimum of Lower Credit.
- GCE Advance level with at least two credit passes.
- OND with evidence of proficiency in Economics/Geography/Government/Civic Education.
- Certificate in Criminology and Security Studies or the equivalent from a recognised university in addition to three O’ Level papers in Art and Social Science, including credit pass in English Language, and Mathematics.
- First degree (B.Sc., B.A or B.Ed.).
Iconic University charges modest fees that give learners the chance to pay per semester only. Nigerian candidates seeking admission will pay an application fee of
N10,000 and $30 would be paid by foreign applicants.
N75,000 and $500 (for foreign students only).
Note: This schedule is only applicable to Spring Semester 2023/’24 academic session.